Student Loans

Applying for Financial Aid and/or Federal Work-Study

To apply for federal student loans and/or federal work-study, you must complete the following item EACH YEAR:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Mercer’s school code is 001580. Use “Mercer”—not “Mercer Law.” Do not include your parents’ information.

You may not borrow money to cover non-educational expenses such as credit card debt and vehicle loans. Find answers to more Frequently Asked Questions on our Financial Aid Resources page.


Direct Graduate PLUS Loans and alternative (private) loans are based on credit worthiness. Please unlock or unfreeze your credit because we cannot process Grad PLUS or private student loans if your credit is locked or frozen. We strongly recommend that you obtain a copy of your credit report and verify all items are correct. You can obtain a FREE copy of your credit report once every 12 months from each of the three national consumer-reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) at because of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions (FACT) Act of 2003.

After you receive your Financial Aid Notification email (usually in June), all first-time Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan and Direct Graduate PLUS Loan borrowers must complete the following at before loan funds may be credited to your student account.

  • Master Promissory Notes (MPNs), and
  • Entrance Loan Counseling

Tuition is due on the first day of class of each semester. Please contact the Bursar’s Office at (478) 301-1001 if you need to make payment arrangements.

Please check with the Office of Financial Aid before withdrawing from a class.  If you enroll for fewer hours than indicated on your financial aid application, your financial aid may be affected.


Accepting Your Financial Aid Notification

Accept your Financial Aid Notification through your MyMercer portal.

For instructions on how to accept or reject your awards, click here.